The purpose of the Doniphan-Ripley County Library District is to provide the whole community with access to materials that can improve their minds, broaden their lives, and fulfill their cultural, civic, intellectual, educational and recreational needs.
The library was established in 1934 when four groups of ladies, Lectus Club, The Tuesday Reading Club, P.E.O. and the Fiction Club, combined to organize an initiative for a public library. The present library building was constructed in 1941-42. On March 2, 1948 the name was changed from the Ripley County Memorial Library to the Doniphan Public Library.
The Current River Regional Library was established in June 1963, later becoming the Ripley County Library. In 1991 the two libraries combined to become the present Doniphan-Ripley County Library, with the main library at Doniphan and a branch library in Naylor.
The two Boards of Directors merged in order to represent the entire county. New board members are appointed by the Mayor and the County Commissioners.
In the same year, 1991, a local Friends of the Library group started. This group has worked closely with the library, holding annual book sales at Doniphan in May and Naylor in October and participating in many other activities to provide support and publicity.
Currently, there are two libraries in Ripley County, the main library in Doniphan and the branch library in Naylor. Both libraries have public internet computers and wireless hotspots. They participate in Missouri Evergreen which allows users to borrow books from many different libraries in Missouri as well as through Inter Library Loan.
The Doniphan Library built an addition in 2003 and bought an additional building (the Annex, 202 Pine St.) in 2007. The Naylor Library moved into a brand new building in January, 2013.