Using the Library
All new library card applicants, 18 years and older, must present photo identification plus current proof of residency. Applicants under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign the library application in the presence of library staff. The parent or guardian must have a current library card in good standing to sign as the responsible party. The item establishing proof of address must be current and can include items such as; recently postmarked mail, utility bill, rent receipt, etc.
A library card shall be issued without charge to any resident of Ripley County. For out-of-county residents, a card may be purchased for an annual fee of $10.
1. A library card must be presented to check out library materials or use a computer.
2. Each patron must provide the library with a telephone number where he/she can be reached (i.e. home, work, relative, etc).
3. Library cards require updating annually to ensure accuracy of patron contact information.
4. When patrons use their library card for the first 3 months they are limited to three items, including one video.
5. After the probationary 3 month period, up to eight books, audios, puzzles or music cds may be checked out at one time for a period of two weeks. 3 videos and 3 children’s videos are also allowed at the same time. Some new books may have more restrictive check-outs. Late fines are 10 cents a day and $1 a day for videos. The maximum fine is the price of the item.
6. Patrons must use their own library card.
7. There is a $3 fee to replace a lost card.